County Executive Committee
By A Website Design
Word From the Governor
Mr. Speaker Sir, honorable members of the county assembly, distinguished ladies and gentlemen. It is with humility and an overwhelming sense of responsibility that i address you during this first session of our county assembly. I congratulate you all, Mr. Speaker sir, and the honorable members for having been elected and thereby earning a place in the history of this county. Indeed, it is from here that we take the first steps in the historic journey that will chart the way forward for our county. I, therefore, call on each one of us to arise to the great expectations that the citizens of this county have placed on us and make a contribution to realizing our vision for a prosperous and united county. Mr. Speaker Sir, honorable members, history will not judge us kindly if we fail to improve the living conditions of our citizens and fail to improve the infrastructure and facilities in our county. This compels us to reflect on the reasons that make our county categorized among those that have a very high poverty index in the country despite the rich natural and human resource endowment we possess. We have a unique opportunity to provide leadership and solutions. We shall mitigate the effects of this unacceptable level of poverty by focusing on improved utilization of the natural and human resource potential in our county. The potential for rain fed agriculture in our county is huge and remains underexploited. This, together with the untapped potential for using irrigation and drainage to put more land under cultivation should provide us a lasting solution to food security. We have absolutely no reason of putting our people through the pain and indignity of having nothing to eat. We will, therefore, prioritize access to better land preparation methods, farm credit, certified seed and fertilizers to increase the land under cultivation, increase production and productivity of our land.Mr. Speaker Sir, honorable members, in this age, the use of tractors is a basic requirement to ensure that land is effectively prepared for crop production. Our initial aim is to purchase 20 tractors to aid our farmers. We shall increase the fleet of tractors and other machinery at the Bumala agricultural mechanization station and open up at least 6 other Centre’s from where farmers can access farm machinery at a subsidized cost. We will also target the most needy members of our society to provide them with certified seed and fertilizer to cushion them from the dehumanizing consequence of lack of food. We will simultaneously ensure that farmers are not exploited by middlemen in selling their produce. We shall cushion our primary producers from the inability to negotiate a fair price for their crop, livestock, fish and other produce. Therefore, we will ensure that the cooperative movement becomes a key component of our agriculture sector to facilitate storage, processing and marketing of our produce. Mr. Speaker Sir, honorable members, we will support the cooperatives to establish collection Centre’s and silos, to procure processing plants and to identify markets for our produce. Our cooperative societies offer a variety of goods and services to our citizens. It is our intention to institute mechanisms to expand these institutions to elevate and diversify the products offered.
>> Read More
God bless the county of Busia and God bless Kenya.
Hon. Sospeter Odeke Ojaamong
- Water sporting on lake Victoria, River Sio and River Nzoia. Hotels can be constructed along the unexploited beach and the surroundings
- Tourist companies in the county will have other unique and variety of exotic exposures like the rich Ateso culture of African dancers and historic collections, Kisoko rocks, Kakapel Caves and Rock paintings, the hills and caves of Mt. Elgon and the Amukura Hills.
- In the county, there are already existing world class hotels that can accommodate visitors in the county
- Fishing for sports, canoeing and kayaking can be promoted on the Lake Victoria and River Nzoia
- International cuisines have the potential to attract visitors who transit through the border county and to also attract visitors from neighboring Uganda
AGRICULTURE AND INDUSTRIALIZATION
- Groundnut milling: This offers opportunity for both cottage and large scale industries
- Sorghum and millet processing: There is possibility of setting up a brewery that can equally be complemented with the molasses produced from sugar companies that have operations in the county and in neighboring ones.
- Cotton ginnery: There exist four cotton ginneries that can be revived to promote growth of cotton which is a high potential crop in the county
- Industrial waste management: There already exists land for waste disposal. This offers opportunities for organic and inorganic waste recycling
- There exist various common interest groups in the county: transporters, farmers, local investors, hoteliers among others. The desire to expound on their business initiatives offers a chance to expound the banking and micro-financing industry
- Busia County has produced some of the Country’s and internationally renowned athletes and has the potential to produce more. Construction of a modern day state of art stadium will capture young talent and professional athletic trainings both for the country and for neighboring countries.
- There is high demand for private learning institutions that offer high quality and international education. This is caused by increasing migration of families, professionals and various organizations into the county
INFORMATION, COMMUNICATION AND TECHNOLOGY
- Increasing number of organizations working in the county open up the potential of creation of data bases, and establishment of digital communication technologies and networking that will propel efficiency in communication.
- The same conditions provide for digital advertising couples with solar powered street lighting
- Ferries and harbors will promote transport and link the East African towns along the lake
- Decent road transport linking major urban areas is a viable opportunity following the decentralization of governance units
- Warehousing facilities along the border will attract transporters who are often inconvenienced with the long distances and hectic cross border clearance procedures
- The county has currently prioritized a modern referral health facility as a major flagship project. Diagnostic services like CT scanning, mammography, MRI, mammography and others will complement the facility which will tap into the regional clientele.